Saturday, July 28, 2018




This week we were to think about one stressor factor that we have experienced in our lives that has resulted in a Triumph rather than a negative overall experience. From the list of chosen stressors, though there are many that I can attest to--I believe that racism is one factor that I did actually experience as a child many times. When I was in kindergarten, I was trying to test into the advanced gifted program (C.L.U.E.).  I took many tests that were given to me including IQ and different gifted and advanced placement tests that at the time in the early 90s were being given to children. Although I did pass those tests and receive a score that was high enough to test into the advanced and gifted program for my elementary school, we were told that kindergarteners were not allowed to enter into the gifted and advanced program; so I would have to wait until I entered first grade in order to enter into the program. Initially, I did not think that there was anything wrong with this fact, until I entered into the first grade, gained entry into the advanced and gifted program for my school, and learned that there were children who were returning from their kindergarten year.  This at the time upsetting for two main reasons:  one reason was that there were very few black children who were at my elementary school, and the second reason was that we were told that there would be no kindergarteners within the gifted program. When my mother found out about this she was highly upset, and she approached the school administration to question the rules. Once she questioned the actual Administration, the administration tried to apologize, and claim that they did not know how I was refused entry into the program; however, I did know. Even though I was young I did understand that I had experienced racism and that the reason that I was not permitted into the program must be the advanced program was a majority White program. When I entered into the program in first grade I was one of two black children within the program and the returning children who initially had gained entry and kindergarten-- some of which were in my kindergarten class, were white children. Rather than feeling deeply scarred by this situation at the time my mother and I talked a good deal about what happened and how I felt. This did help me to understand the unfairness in the world, however, I knew that it did not justify racism or unfairness that was in the world at the current time.




Many different areas racisms is still prevalent, the country of Libya currently there are still darker hued people who are being treated ill-mannered, and even sold as slaves in 2018. Likewise in the country of Israel, the black people are being treated in an ill-mannered way, and a racist and Prejudice manner that is in-conclusively an overall inhumane manner. The treatment of black people in these areas and darker hued people in areas such as Libya is unacceptable and should be more addressed within our society. The cognitive damage, as well as psychosocial damaged that is done to the human psyche within people of the black race, is irreversible, and the only way to truly heal, (in my opinion), would be to bring the injustice to the Forefront and eliminate it from the Daily normal functions of society.

2 comments:

  1. It is a shame that racism still exists today and that you had to experience it as a child. When I was in high school, I had two different friends, each of whom had parents who were racist towards people of color. When we went out with our friends, they would have to lie about it. One of them married an African-American man in 2016 and she still hasn't been able to share this news with her father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and that racism is a cancer, especially because it promotes one group of people inflicting hatred, violence and attempted superiority--above another group of people. I cannot believe we still have this issue openly occurring to this day, and I definitely cannot believe that there are people out there now that believe that racism has been dead for years; when it is clearly still prevalent today!

    ReplyDelete