Sunday, April 28, 2019

Impacts on Early Emotional Development




This week...the final week- we embark on a journey to step out into the wide world as skilled educators in the fight to counteract bias behavior and promote fairness and cultural awareness in the classroom. When I initially started this journey to obtain my Master's Certificate over a year ago, I assumed that I would be exposed to information to which I already had a good grasp, and could then progress through the material--already knowing which way I should go forth. This turned out to be far from the case. This journey through the lands of Anti-bias education has really given me a solid understanding of current issues that are arising in the classroom and how to handle those issues that arise with the children first and foremost at all time. The course has taught me to dig into the root of the concern and follow through with strategies that will allow me to better serve the families and children within the classroom, but also to help the children become more culturally aware and encouraging to one another. 

One of my favorite past matriarchs and ancestors in the art of education and psychology of all time, the late Dr. Frances Cress Welsing said this:
"Children are the only future of any people. If the children's lives are squandered, and if the children of a people are not fully developed at whatever cost and sacrifice, the people will have consigned themselves to certain death."
This has always struck me as being a powerful statement--if we do not keep children and their educational development at the heart of everything that we do, we can forget about the next generation having any source of hope or guidance and the cultural competence of families and children will decrease little by little. It is, therefore, my hope to build self-love and cultural awareness at all time within the children in the classroom. I am a firm believer that children, especially melinated children need to see the value in themselves and their potential to flourish in this world. My mission is even stronger now that my initial journey with Walden is coming to a close--I feel so much more knowledgeable that I can create a strong and safe space for those children who are often trodden upon in this life! 

To my fellow educators and sisters in the field, I thank you, your experiences and sharing of wisdom and knowledge. All of you have truly inspired me to expand my own way of thinking and apply some of your methods to the way that I am currently thinking about the way that I approach many situations. Thank you- and may the ancestors and Most High continue to guide you throughout your endeavors!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Iesha,
    I am thankful for you. Like I shared with Quay, coming from a behavioral background I have always felt like my lack of experience made me the underdog throughout the program. I still believe in behavioral therapy, and it is my calling, but I need to expand on it. Behaviorists are so ridged at times, and they forget certain aspects such as diversity that I believe should be incorporated. The program was about learning and growth but remaining in the field that is true to my passion. I thank you for sharing your experiences to help me grow and always giving feedback for me to expand on. I am grateful for you, and I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Iesha!

    "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Psaims 23:4

    Babygirl, you are now equipped with all you need to continue your journey. Your ancestors and the Most High has given you a rod of knowledge and a staff of colleagues to do what you are called to do.
    Go be great!
    If you need me, I can be reached at justmequay@gmail.com

    Keep moving forward...Quay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iesha,

    Great post! I agree with you in thinking that these courses would only re-enfornce what I already knew when we first started. Just like you....that was far from the truth. Looking deep within my own biases and stereotypes was one of the hardest things I had to do. And boy did I found I had a lot of biases and stereotypes towards certain groups of people! In order to be a true anti-bias educator I had to face my own issues to ensure I was not spreading more bias and stereotypes in my own classroom. I also had to ensure that I was being the best role model I could be in an anti-bias classroom. Iesha, I know that you will make a great anti-bias educator because you already are aware of the importance of self reflection and introspection. You know that in order to be the best anti-bias educator you can be you need to first start with yourself! Best of luck in your journey towards your Master's and in your educational future! It has been great working with a supportive classmate such as yourself!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete