Sunday, January 27, 2019

START SEEING DIVERISTY

This week the topic of discussion centered on the importance of gender roles, and current views on homophobia within children’s material. Personally, I believe in children being children; I believe that there is too large of an emphasis being placed on what box a child should conform themselves to, and by whose opinion they are being placed within the box. Referring again back to the cycle of socialization, the initial starting point begins with a child having no consciousness or concept of bias or prejudice, in the same manner, they have no concept of what gender roles really entail until culturally speaking the elders or guardians of the children introduce the idea into the picture (Harro, 2010). I have noticed that the concept of heterosexism, has always been placed in most books, which I would attribute to the fact that scientifically, a man and a woman are the progenitors of life. There is no getting around that fact, no matter what you identify or how you choose to live your life (ie. Heterosexual or homosexual), and that fact of how the life cycle is being presented can never be altered conceptually. Now I know that people are currently hollering that this is scientifically being modified and altered as we speak, but I believe that is the point—it is being altered from its original concept and form. Children’s materials and encouraged play is beginning to be more and more “political” in the sense that children are being watched to see how they identify through the mere aspect of dolls and role-play (Pelo, 2008). In a sense I believe this to be wrong in theory (the analyzation of how a child identifies merely by what toy he or she engages within natural play and curiosity)—because simply because a boy picks up a doll and plays with a doll does not make him a homosexual; however, I believe that unconsciously we can unknowingly encourage these thoughts simply by offering materials in repetition to a child who may have not been thinking in that manner (and vice versa with girls). I think that a child should identify as a child…pure in thought, not worrying about the semantics and ultimately, they will consciously grow natural into what their Creator intended them to be in life.

In the video that I am sharing, I believe that the children had formulated opinions that came from various sources. In this video, there is a non-conforming person (technically who was born a female or “girl”) who identified as both male and female. The concept I found interesting here, was that it was not the genetic side that made them feel more closely knit towards one or the other (male or female) it was more about not conforming to the standards that were placed within society. In that sense, I do not find that odd, because historically speaking, women were just as much as a strong warrior in various cultures as men, and many times exceeded men in this sense. The thought process of women being meek and complacent, and men always being aggressive and egotistical, is a thought process that was introduced somewhere in time. As our resource states: “Gender, ethnicity, and religion are among the factors that shape how children view themselves in relation to others” (Woodhead & Oates, 2008). Remembering this identity fact should re-center our focus on allowing children to be children, be careful about what influences we introduce to make them feel forced or conformed to a particular stereotype.


Resources:

Woodhead, M., & Oates, J. (Eds.) (2010).Developing Positive Identities: Diversity and Young Children. Retrieved from
https://bernardvanleer.org/publications-reports/developing-positive-identities-diversity-and-young-children/

Harro, B. (2010). The cycle of socialization. In M. Adams, W. Blumenfeld, C. Castaneda, H. W. Hackman, M. L. Peters, & X. Zuniga (Eds.), Readings for diversity and social justice (Figure 6.1 on p. 46, 2nd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.

Pelo, A. (Ed.). (2008). Rethinking early childhood education. Milwaukee, WI: Rethinking Schools.

7 comments:

  1. Iesha,

    I think you propose a very interesting argument here in terms of children and their viewpoints towards gender roles and sexism. I agree with you in the sense that children really do not associate with gender roles or sexuality until it is pressed upon them by those who take care of them. I feel that same way about children and how they see race. They really don't see color until until another adult begin to put ideas in their heads about people of different color and their "status". Children are just naturally curious and want to see what something or someone is about; they aren't really thinking about playing with one thing or another because of a certain identity unless an adult put that notion in their head. I do think however, as children get older and begin to notice more of the world around them, they may choose certain toys or games because they represent the roles of the caregivers in their life. For example, my son loved to play with his toy tractor because his grandfather loved to work in the garden. He imitated the work my dad did with that toy tractor on his own and without us guiding him to use it in that way. However, we bought that tractor for him. I wonder if he was presented with a room full of toys for his choosing would he have chosen that toy tractor? Or would he have chosen something else? Would we have been surprised by his choice? Even our nonverbal influences might surprise us just as much as our verbal influences. It might be very interesting what they tell us when we ask them why they choose a certain toy, game or book. Is it their natural curiosity or is it our influence? That might be the way to gauge if our own biases and their transfer to our children are getting in the way of their natural curiosity.

    Great post! Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Jill!
      I think again that you are accurate with an honest reply. If placed in a room full of toys a child would naturally pick a toy each day, until they have found a favorite toy. I think that at that point it would not be far-fetched to say that a child likes a certain type of toy. Children should not feel pressured, in my opinion, to consciously try to make a decision about what "gender" they are...I think that thought process only came from an altered path they saw in some form...even if it was their own parents. I think another think to think about is, why are we assuming that just because there are a set of parents that are the same-sex, that they automatically want their children to walk the same path? I think that is why I state that politics should be left to the side and let the small window of purity shine within children before it is taken by adults. Thank you for your reply!

      Delete
  2. Hello Iesha,
    When I first relocated to Florida, I had a private client who was very clear with me not to mention any gender-specific topics to their children. They had one boy and one girl. They allowed both children to wear dresses and play with any type of toy they wanted. One day the son started saying ' dresses are for girls, pants are for boys'; she questioned whether I was placing my ideas onto the children, but I assured them there are particular aspects children pick up at school from teachers and their peers, also what they see on television. Since he is older, he can put together his views on gender by himself. Eventually, the family relocated, and when they came to visit a few weeks ago, both children were wearing dresses and sneakers. Because they both have big fros, I honestly could not tell them apart. My daughter who is 9, said ' oh no goodness *child's name* I didn't recognize you. Why are you wearing a dress?' The mother did not give him a chance to answer, but she quickly responded for him. I believe that is it perfectly fine for children to explore in their ways. I think adults are the ones who indirectly place certain stigmas on children because of their views on the subject.
    Thank you for sharing this week. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that example was perfect! I think as parents and educators we do not realize what we impose on children. I think naturally if a parent pushes a child in a certain direction rather than offering guidance, you can do more harm than good. In your example it seems as if the son was slightly forced, even though he might have wanted to wear and present himself in a "different" manner--different meaning what is perceived as masculine, and there is noting wrong with that (in my opinion). The real question I have is--if a parent states they are letting them truly explore their ways, why was one area blocked?Something to consider...! Thank you for your response!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Iesha!

    What an awesome media selection! The children were curious and respectful...I wish adults were this accepting. Like the children, I am curious and I have so many questions about the LGBTQ community that it is actually overwhelming trying to figure it all out. One thing that I am definitely impressed about is these children come from households with love and acceptance and that gives me hope that one day...there will be a generation that can accept difference as being the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Iesha,
    I loved the video. I loved how the learned and accepted ideals of gender more easily than children. Thank you for sharing this particular video with us, it showed me just how children can be influenced by their families or environment. I was happy that many of the children were open to the idea of addressing people who chose pronouns other than she or he. It was interesting to see how many of them reacted to the transgender person, they were very curious, respectful, and open to learning more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry the comment above was published by Lilyann Alcantara

    ReplyDelete