Sunday, February 24, 2019

Fragments Now Whole

Mirror Mirror On the Wall...
Do I know myself at all?
The more you think you're viewing clearer--
You soon realize you're in the mirror...

Distorted fragments of a familiar face,
one not defined by ethnicity, culture, or race
realization flows...tears of a clown,
details missed..first time around. 

Keys unlocking... doors forbidden,
looking deeper--find what's hidden
build the bridges, mutual respect,
something oftentimes we neglect. 

Shards of disregard we mend,
Never knew we'd find a friend...
looking closer was the key
Fragments whole--my identity. 


I chose this picture, not only because it was created by my younger sister (who's permission I was granted to use it) but because I believe that it embodies the pure definition of identity: When you look into the mirror, you realize that the only way to truly respect people who are different than you, is to take a look into the mirror and look deeper into yourself...all the way to the core, in order to find what your true identity.  I think that this shows us all to take a deep look inside in order to respect others. 

* Art by my sister: Anika Josephat

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Iesha!

    What a wonderful poem of self-discovery and identity! Every stanza was soul searching and pronounced a message of "this identity thing will not be easy"!

    It is my desire for you that the deeper you look, clarity will be your soulmate of choice. It is an amazing entity...the deeper you look...the higher your frequency and vibration.

    Keep moving forward, siSTAR...Quay

    ReplyDelete
  2. lesha,
    I loved your poem, it describe the journey that many of us have when searching for who we are as individuals. Self-identity is hard in discovering who we are and who we want to be. When society distorts the concepts that reflect what we see on the outside, we question whether who we thought we were was correct. Sometimes, society and those who are callous with their words bring us down and tarnish our self-identities but it is who surrounds us with light that illuminates how we see ourselves. I love it! Great Poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!

    I like how your poem embodies both surface culture and deep culture. We have to look past what is on the surface in order to see what is on the inside. Also, if we are to become culturally responsive individuals we must first face our own stereotypes and biases in order to begin to transform into what we really want to be. When we do that we might not like what we see. Unless we break down ourselves first we cannot break down the stereotypes and biases of others. Change starts with us! When we make connections past surface culture in our deep culture then we are unlocking true humanity.

    Jill Hershey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post this week Iesha! This entire program is continually making me look more in-depth at who I am and how I am perceived. I am still trying to work on my microaggressions we learned about from a few courses ago. There is so much hate driving the world right now that I believe any bit of good will help. As educators, we are the good the world needs. The good their children will see and pass it onto others.

    ReplyDelete