Saturday, March 2, 2019

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED

If I could think of any true hope that I have for working with families and children of diverse backgrounds, it would be to step gain a deeper understanding of the cultures and ethnicities that reside here in the United States. This class has called for us to search deeper to learn our true identities, and within that, I learned that maybe I do not know the cultures and ethnicities within the United States as much as I thought I did when I first started this program. I want to understand those cultures and ethnicities, and then incorporate other creative and fulfilling ways for children within the classroom setting to also learn about these same cultures and ethnicities as well... basically a giant celebration!

I think that my goal for Early Childhood Education will be to enhance my curriculum that I am designing to include those cultures and ethnicities that I have learned about from the motivation of this course. I think that this will be a great early childhood educational goal as it embodies all that we are attempting to accomplish within this program!

I really and genuinely want to thank all of my fellow sisters (colleagues) within this course! I loved having a smaller class size because I felt that I was able to really connect through our blogs and postings! Each and every one of you (Ms. Quay, Ms. Lilyann, Ms. Jill, Ms. Shakira, and Dr. Kien) I feel like you all have revealed your strengths and points of improvement, and through that, we have all grown as educators and associates- I hope to see you all the next class and Wish you positive energy into your next endeavors! In the Spirit of the nature of our course, I decided to leave you all with another of my favorite clips on kids trying cultural foods! Good Luck to all!--Iesha

3 comments:

  1. lesha,
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I loved your poetic voice and multiple perspectives on the many bias issues we discussed. I agree that the next step is to revised and recreate our curriculum to reflect culturally responsive and culturally relevant pedagogy. Keep going and keep doing your thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Iesha,
    Thank you for sharing that video, super cute. I wish we could all be like kids sometimes with honesty without judgment. I try to expose my daughter to different cultures, and I am working hard, so we can travel. I do not think it is fair that my partner and I can see the world and she cannot. I believe that my communication with her about cultures and diversity are excellent but she needs to be able to experience things like all of us.

    Like you, I also have to gain more experience and knowledge, but these are things that will take time. I am excited about my journey, and I hope I will continue to meet people who can teach me and aid in my growth.

    Thank you for always sharing and pushing me to expand within this course. I hope you can be in another course together in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iesha,

    Great post! I like how you have your environment divided into rooms. All the preschools I went to only had one large room, so I have trouble picturing something different. I think it's a great idea! I also like that you are going to have a room with artifacts and materials that reflect the children and their lives. I read in our text that a teacher could send home family homework with questions for them to answer such has a family's favorite book or game or bring in a family photo or drawing. Something that the students could draw a picture of or bring in to add to the existing materials. Of course the questions would not exclude children of low socio economic status such as questions about dogs and homes. I thought that was a good idea of a way of including both children and their families. It sounds like your childcare is going to be great!

    Derman-Sparks, L. & Edwards, J.O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

    ReplyDelete